Based on years of experience, the SelectCROSS approach focuses on a structured three-breed rotation with elite genetics from major breeds to maximize heterosis. Holstein, Jersey and Montbeliarde are three of the largest breeds in the world for genetic development.
- Use elite sires with pure descent from each parent breed for more predictable outcomes and consistency. This is currently a challenge for some active Jerseys and many Viking Red sires.
- Protect for the weaknesses and build on the strengths of each breed in the rotation.
- Start the rotation with purebred (no generation count) Jersey sires with greater than +20 Jersey Udder Index ™ (JUI™) to build the proper udder for a high-producing Holstein x Jersey cross cow.
- Breed this cross to Montbeliarde sires with a Calving Ease score greater than 89 and an udder score greater than +110.
Jura-Bétail - Our Montbeliarde Partner
Select Sires is proud to partner exclusively with Jura-Bétail to bring you quality genetics to make the most of your crossbreeding program. This partnership strongly aligns with sources that are dedicated, sustaining and continuously progressing.
Established in 1948, the Jura-Bétail cooperative is led by a management board of 21 breeders. A pioneer since 1952 in the progeny test selection within the Montbeliarde breed, Jura-Bétail runs a genetic improvement program which has highly influenced the evolution of this breed.
Jura-Bétail is commited to providing:
- Diversity - Among 45 new bulls created each year by Jura-Bétail, you have a choice between different profiles, adjusted to any of your selection goals, and between genomic or progeny-tested bulls.
- Genetic Variability - In the heart of your needs, Jura-Bétail works to create new pedigrees of a high quality that are easy to use.
- Fertility - Jura-Bétail guarantees 8 million live sperm count per straw after thawing: a true security for your herd’s fertility.
- Reliability - Jura-Bétail chose to continue sampling to spread and index bulls accountability and to maintain our quality level.
Jura-Bétail sires have exceptional udders: among the 19 new genomic sires released in June 2017, the average udder index is 120! In the top 50 of the breed for ISU, there are 20 bulls available +115 Udder Index and Jura-Bétail offers 13 of these elite profit and udder sires!
Learn more about Jura-Bétail here.
™SelectCROSS is a registered trademark of Select Sires Inc.